Family histories are enriched when contemporary information published in newspapers is included. Local and regional events shaped their lives—newspapers told our ancestors’ stories and chronicled their comings and goings. These resources await your discovery:
On this website
Belleville (Ill.) Daily Advocate vital statistic extracts 1927 – 1954. A unique, standalone database independent of the site searches.
- Belleville (Ill.) News Democrat obituary indexes
- Belleviller Post und Zeitung obituaries 1893, 1894 (part), 1898
- Freeburg Tribune Obituary Indexes 1904 -1939:
- Freeburg Tribune Obituary Indexes 1999-2010: A-F G-L M-R S-Z
- Freeburg Tribune Obituary Indexes 2011 and 2012 A – Z
- Lebanon Advertiser Every-name index 1917 | 1918 | 1919 | 1920 | 1921
- Millstadt Enterprise obituary index 1897–1949
- New information about newspapers appears in the member site Classroom.
On the Member site
- Belleville (Ill.) News Democrat online images 1901-1956, a member benefit.
- Freeburg Tribune Obituary Index 1904-1939 (online link above) may also be purchased.
- Learn about other many more newspapers, their indexes, microfilm (inter-library loan and online), and newspaper photograph archives in St. Clair County Research and Resources, A Genealogist’s Guide on our book page.
Keyword searches such as gazette, zeitung, or newspaper, or obituary, and even microfilm will find Quarterly article titles that include those words (Quarterly Table of Contents will appear in the search “hit” list).
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.