SCCGS’s cemetery committee was the recipient of state and national awards for its work preserving records of more than 370 cemeteries throughout St. Clair. Chief among these hardworking dedicated people are the former co-chairs, now deceased, Else E. Schmidt and Martha Mae Schmidt. Volunteers continue their legacy, contact Teri Bromley, chairperson.
On-site tombstone readings, some in cemeteries overgrown and abandoned, fill yet another void for family historians due to lax compliance registering county vital records before 1916.
On our websites
- Tombstone Surname Index to those buried in about 140 of the 370+ cemeteries in the county from inventories published up to 2008 by SCCGS.
- Cemetery locations in St. Clair
- Booker T. Washington Cemetery, Centreville – records preserved for this historic African-American burial site, history.
- Mt. Hope Cemetery, Belleville – burial records available, maps, history.
- St. Clair Memorial Park Cemetery (Canteen-Stites Township) — a transcription from cemetery lot cards.
- Walnut Hill Cemetery (Belleville)
- Monument photographs for a few areas of the cemetery
- Names and dates transcribed from Lot Cards for about 23,000 of the 31,000 people buried here from 1878-1992.
- The Original sexton’s books (1855-1878) and other tools are online, courtesy of Belleville City Hall here.
- Our website’s search box (upper right) may help locate burials documented on our Walnut Hill webpages (look for Walnut Hill among the ‘hits’).
- The Classroom in the member site showcases new information about St.Clair’s cemeteries.
In addition to the Tombstone Surname Index above, indexes to surnames found in cemetery books published 2008 and later are on the books for sale page.
Consult our Research Guide, not only for records held by SCCGS, but also for resources held at the local, state, and national level.
Since the Society’s humble beginnings in 1977, the Quarterly has unique articles about St. Clair County cemeteries.
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.