Welcome to St. Clair County, located in Southwestern Illinois across the Mississippi River from St. Louis. Established in 1790, it is Illinois’ oldest county. Your heritage may be rooted in the county’s early 18th century French settlements; Americans who migrated from the east coast and southern States, German, Irish and English immigrants who arrived 1830-1860s, or eastern European settlers who found new homes here at the dawn of the 20th century.
- The Collections menu holds DATA indexed and abstracted on this free public site,
- The Quarterly indexes 250,000+ people mentioned on its pages over the past 40+ years. Is your family mentioned? (Nested under Publications)
- Our books hold data too large for the Quarterly and details the county’s residents in religious events, cemeteries in which they are buried, and census, court, and vital records in which they appear.
We gratefully acknowledge the efforts of SCCGS volunteers who preserve and publish extensive information about our ancestors’ sojourn here. With pencil in hand
- explore this site thoroughly (capture the page url with data you save)
- study research techniques sprinkled throughout these pages, and
- utilize tips described at this Search link.
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.