SCCGS Collections at the Belleville Public Library
Major holdings funded by SCCGS
- Death and marriage registers from the county clerk’s office (microfilm)
- Green Mount (non-sectarian), Mt. Hope and Walnut Hill cemeteries lot cards, indexes, maps.
- Probate case files 1770s – 1964 with original will, and intestate case files for those who died without a will. (776 microfilm rolls)
- Church records for the county’s Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and United Church of Christ denominations, for example. (microfilm and books)
- Newspapers of Lebanon, Mascoutah, and O’Fallon (microfilm)
- Read more about our acquisitions and major projects.
Early Family File
Pedigree charts compiled for 125 families that resided in St. Clair County before 1850 serve as the basis for this collection. The extent of information in each file varies; facts should be verified by other means. Online access is one of several member benefits.
SCCGS Research Inquiries File (RIF)
Realizing the value of some of the material in the Research Committee files, the chairman of the committee digested information from inquiries the society received during its first 20 years. Subsequently, the committee focused on photocopy service requests.
- Inquiries that only asked for general policy or society information, or had a passing interest in “x” but had no research performed by the committee were destroyed.
- However, the name of the researcher and the family line of interest were retained in the above RIF. The remaining inquiries were saved and later microfilmed. An index to these inquiries is in the Society’s holdings at the Belleville Public Library.
Member Surname Index File
Cumulative index to all family names researched by SCCGS members since 1977. Read these on Let’s Collaborate!
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.