Soldiers’ Memorial in Jones Park
East St. Louis, Illinois
Article abstracts donated to the SCCGS by Lawrence Kritis, photographs by Raymond Kritis.
- abstracts from two newspaper articles about the Soldiers’ Memorial,
- names of the 98 men from the area who died during World War I, plus five whose names were added at a later date [total 103],
- links to descriptive comments about the men whose names are inscribed on the monument, and
- two photographs of the monument, and a description of the monument itself.
The entity charged with care of this monument is unknown.
Above the names on the base are tributes to World War and Spanish American War soldiers (left), and Revolutionary War and Civil War soldiers (right).
East St. Louis (Illinois) Daily Journal, November 11, 1924
The Monument is located at head of Victory Drive in Jones Park, dedicated on the sixth anniversary of the signing of the Armistice
Parade started at 2:30 at 10th and State Streets moved east on State Street to 25th Street, north to Victory Drive Sixth Infantry Band of Jefferson Barracks
Grand Marshall, Max Adelman, former commander of American Legion Post No. 53
Civil War veterans
Spanish-American War veterans
Members of women’s auxiliaries of the war associations
Members of civic and commercial organizations
Monument unveiling at 3:30 by Virginia Lucille Johnson and Master Charles Ashton
Ceremony director, Mrs. C. H. Niederfeld of the Women’s Relief Corps
Assistants: Mrs. Florence Jamison Miller of Monticello, Mrs. William Bahrenburg of Belleville, past president of the WRC.
Principal Addressees: Rev. Joseph M. Lonergan of Durand , Ill., national chaplain of the American Legion, Rev. J. Stanley Mitchell of Shelbyville, past national chaplain of the American Legion.
Memorial funds raised by the legion and auxiliaries
Musical program: 6th Infantry Band Chorus of 400 from public schools, musical director Miss Julia Kelsey High School Band
Invocation: Rabbi Jacob R. Mazur
Monument presented by Helen R. Warner, general chairman of the memorial committee
Responded by Kevin Kane, attorney
Benediction by Rev. J. J. Downey of St. Joseph’s Church
Speakers Platform: Speakers, guests of honor, members of committee, Mayor M. M. Stephens, City officials, Representatives of the Park Board, Business and Professional Women’s Club, sponsor of memorial idea
Monument was a dream since the 1st anniversary of signing of armistice
Patriotic organizations outlined plans for exercises
Committee in charge arranged speakers and parade
G.A.R. took interest
Spanish-American War Veterans
Women of all of the war organization auxiliaries
Miss Cecil Townsend, secretary of the Red Cross and other officers of the chapter
Members of the Lions, Rotary and Optimist clubs, and others
East St. Louis (Illinois) Daily Journal, November 12, 1924
Parade twenty minutes long, Order of Procession:
- Grand Marshall Max Adelman and Rev Lonergan, in uniform at head
- Sixth Infantry Band
- Limousine, handful of G.A.R. members
- Elaborately decorated pony cart for youngsters
- Gold star mothers in automobiles
- City officials
- Jefferson Barracks drum corps
- Spanish American veterans 100 strong
- World War veterans
- Members of women’s patriotic organizations
- Daughters of the Revolution
- Women’s Relief Corps headed by a float trimmed in white with letters WRC in red
- Auxiliaries of the American Legion posts
- Float representing all branches of the world war service, Mr. H.F. Belver, in charge
- Mrs. Belver, served in the army nurse corps, represented corps
- In uniform a doughboy, a marine, a gob
- Representatives of the women’s auxiliaries
- High School band
- Ainad Temple drill team, Steven Knowles in charge
- W.M.C.A. girls in buses
- St. Joseph’s Boy Scout band, headed by Scout Executive A. H. Curtis and Scoutmaster Charles Kastner
- Members of the Business and Professional Women’s Club
In total, 600 marched in parade, 200 in automobiles
1,500 assembled in park waiting for parade
Gold star mothers had seats of honor
Monument revealed By Virginia Lucille Johnson and Master Charles Ashton
Women of various war organizations attired in white and arms laden with flowers placed flowers at base after reveal for those who fell in the following battles:
- Argonne, Meuse Valley, Don Sur Meuse
- Vimy Ridge, Chateau Thierry
- Cheppy, and
- other battlefields of France
Sixth Infantry Band played Star Spangled Banner, with chorus
Rabbi Jacob R. Mazur offered prayer
Speech by Rev. J. Stanley Mitchell, “The Price of Peace” cut short by a drizzle, then downpour.
Program then dispensed without following speakers getting chance to talk: Rev. Joseph Lonergan of Duran, III; Mayor M. M. Stephens; Kevin Kane Miss Helen Warner; Rev. J. J. Downey of St. Joseph’s Church
Dinner that night at Y.W.C.A. with guests of committees in charge of celebration, Miss Warner presided.
Built by Walter P. Tisch Monument Works, Belleville, locally represented by H. L. Becker of 1131 Cleveland Avenue
Each side of upper shaft dedicated to a war: World War, Spanish American War, Civil War, American Revolution
Monument centered in grass plot at intersection of three boulevards
Lower shaft inscribed with names of men who died in the World War, names compiled by Miss Warner
Top of upper shaft represented the United States standard, made of Barre granite, 17 feet tall
Names of 103 WWI soldiers inscribed on base of Monument
Click Soldiers’ Name for More Information
|BYRON||CARMICHAEL Back to top|
|JOHN H.||DORMAN JR. updated April 2016.|
|CONRAD||KLEE Back to top|
|JOSEPH A.||O’LEARY Back to top|
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.