Biographical Sketch Index 1874 – 1928
The 2600 biographies in this index were published 1874-1928 in the five (5) histories cited below; compiled for SCCGS by former Quarterly editor, Robert Buecher.
About this index and the books
Male surnames (last name) are alphabetically arranged. The spouse is not indexed separately. Her name appears here only if mentioned in the story.
* An asterisk denotes born in St. Clair County.
+ A plus sign indicates additional pages.
This is not an all-name index.
- Use the site search to find women, businesses, or other words within the body of the four (4) web pages associated with this index. Look for Biographical Sketch Index … (1874 – 1928) in the ‘hit’ title. The names of children or siblings are not usually included in this index.
The society’s research services will photocopy a biography for a small fee. Please fill in and mail the order form; provide the name or story title, book volume and/or year published, and page(s) with your order.
The five (5) histories used to compile this index were:
- An Illustrated Historical Atlas of St. Clair County, Illinois. Chicago: Warner & Beers, 1874.
- Marissa Historical and Genealogical Society. The History of St. Clair County, Illinois. Philadelphia: Brink and McDonough and Company, 1881 Reprint. Evansville, IN: Unigraphic, Inc., 1977.
- Portrait & Biographical Record of St. Clair County, Illinois. Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1892.
- Bateman, Newton and A.S. and A.A. Wilderman, editors, Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of St. Clair County. Chicago: Munsell Publishing Co., 1907. Only the second volume on St. Clair was used for this index.
- Centennial McKendree College with St. Clair County History. Lebanon, Ill.: McKendree College, 1928.
Some of these books are available in digital format on www.archive.org
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.