St. James Catholic Church Records (1857–1956) Millstadt
Compilation copyright by Gloria Dettleff
SCCGS presents this data unaltered and as donated to the Society for genealogical research purposes only. SCCGS does not certify the accuracy of this data but recognizes it was done in good faith by an experienced compiler.
In keeping with the compiler’s wishes and SCCGS’s Terms and Conditions of Use (click), you may use unique elements that are part of a unique family history or genealogy but may not otherwise publish material from this site in whole or in part in any electronic, print or other medium. For special circumstances, seek required permission in writing from SCCGS and the compiler.
Kindly credit this work, click for citation example. Commercial use is expressly prohibited.
Catholics settled in the vicinity of Millstadt in the early 1800s where St. Thomas the Apostle Chapel was built about 1837. At that time the area was called Centreville. The brick church erected in 1850 and dedicated in 1851 marks the beginning of St. James Parish. Pastors of the church include the Reverends H. Lierman (1851-1857), E. H. Raphael (1857-1859), Bartholomew Bartels (1862-1865), Francis Lohman (1866), C. Oberprantacher (1866-1868), F. Trojan (1868-1871), L. Pommer (1871-1886), Albin Breinlinger (1886-1917), Joseph Munier (1917-1923), George Lohman (1923-1924), John Jantzen (1924-1927), Henry Albert (1927-1945), and Charles Hellrung (1945-1946).
About these records, this database, caveats
- The Society and the compiler recommend researchers verify information provided on the SCCGS website with the original record extracted from images are online at FamilySearch. If the image is unsatisfactory (much ink bled through), request help from the Archives of the Diocese of Belleville at (618) 722-5057.
- Earlier church records were written entirely in Latin and translated to give the gist of the meaning to the best of the compiler’s ability. More recent entries may be written in English.
- Square brackets [ ] indicate wording added by the compiler to clarify an entry.
- Researchers are urged to correlate information here with that found in other records before forming conclusions about a person, family, or relationship. Further research (scroll down).
- Terminology reflects the time period and Roman Catholic Canon Law, both have changed over time.
- Cramped handwriting, faint images, possible transcription errors, and names spelled phonetically or with diacritical marks will undoubtedly affect this compilation. Search tips may help locate an ancestor’s name if misspelled.
- Given names abbreviated in the church book are spelled out when the English equivalent is certain (Elizabeth for Eliz., Louis for Ludovicus). When no apparent equivalent was known or ambiguous, the Latin name or initials were transcribed.
- Some priests recorded more information than others.
- A location mentioned for parents might refer to place born.
- Baptisms up to 1930 are on microfilm in SCCGS holdings at the Belleville Public Library and St. Louis County Library on Lindbergh. Find the microfilm roll for this parish here.
- A bride or groom’s location may refer to current residence, or perhaps place born. The census may help determine the meaning of location.
- The cemetery where buried, if mentioned, is included in the transcript.
- Verify the actual place buried with the cemetery sexton’s book, an obituary, funeral card, or death certificate, or probate record. Courthouse, IRAD, and library addresses.
Sample citation to a specific record in this database
Gloria Dettleff, compiler, “St. James (Millstadt [Illinois]) Catholic Church Baptisms (1857 – 1906),” St. Clair County Genealogical Society (https://stclair-ilgs.org : date viewed) ; [ancestor’s name, date of baptism].
Sample citation to a digital image of the original church register
The FamilySearch website provides a citation with each record.
- If a person died in Missouri 1910-1968, access their death certificate on the Missouri Secretary of State web site.
- The Illinois State Archives’ Statewide Death Index (1916 – 1950) is the gateway to order less expensive death certificates through the Illinois State Genealogical Society than the County Clerk’s office.
- Deaths and Stillbirths filed at the St. Clair County Courthouse (1878–1916) are abstracted in the SCCGS Quarterly, Volumes 31–43 (2008–2020). Use the surname index and Table of Contents to hone a search.
- Early History and settlers before 1850, courtesy of the Millstadt Historical Society from SCCGS Charter Member Robert Buecher.
- Latin language aids
- French language aids
- Given names translated from French and Latin into English , courtesy American-French Genealogical Society.
1. History of the Diocese of Belleville, Illinois: 125th Anniversary (2011).
2. Diocese of Belleville. Centennial Heritage Festival and Picnic, Sunday, September 27. Belleville, Ill.: The Diocese, 1987.
St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.