Select Page

St. Augustine (East St. Louis) Catholic Mission

Compilation Copyright 2020, Gloria Dettleff. Donated to and for the use of the
St. Clair County Genealogical Society (SCCGS), per Agreement, January 2020.

SCCGS presents this data unaltered and as donated to the Society for genealogical research purposes only. SCCGS does not certify the accuracy of this data but recognizes it was done in good faith by an experienced compiler.
In keeping with the compiler’s wishes and SCCGS’s Terms and Conditions of Use (click), you may use unique elements that are part of a unique family history or genealogy but may not otherwise publish material from this site in whole or in part in any electronic, print or other medium. For special circumstances, seek required permission in writing from SCCGS and the compiler.

Kindly credit this work, click for a citation example. Commercial use is expressly prohibited.

Marriages (1921–1930) | Burials (1922–1957)

History

This mission church is in the Diocese of Belleville of Southern Illinois and it dates from 1921.  That year, Rev. Peter Harrington, S.M.A., of the African Missionary Fathers and much loved by his congregation – was appointed to oversee St. Augustine Mission. His associates until 1928 were Rev. Taylor and Fr. Crawford (formerly of Liberia, West Africa). Later assistants were the Revs. James Stanley, John Hayes, and C. J. Murphy.

The Mission Church opened in the old Obert Brewing Company building at 14th and Broadway, purchased in 1921. By 1939 about 400 congregants belonged to the Mission. The boundaries were that of East St. Louis and “outlying Negro communities” of Fireworks Station, Golden Gardens, Lovejoy, East Carondelet, and Rush City.

A kindergarten began in 1922, adding a grade each year. In 1928 the school reported 184 pupils and graduated seven – the first graduation for this school.

The Mission was closed in 1960 when segregation came to an end.

About these records, this database, caveats

  • The Society and the compiler recommend researchers verify information provided on the SCCGS website with the original record extracted from images are online at FamilySearch. If the image is unsatisfactory (much ink bled through), request help from the Archives of the Diocese of Bellevillehttps://www.diobelle.org/canonical-affairs/archives at (618) 722-5057.
  • Earlier church records were written entirely in Latin and translated to give the gist of the meaning to the best of the compiler’s ability. More recent entries may be written in English.
  • Square brackets [  ] indicate wording added by the compiler to clarify an entry.
  • Researchers are urged to correlate information here with that found in other records before forming conclusions about a person, family, or relationship. Further research (scroll down).
  • Terminology reflects the time period and Roman Catholic Canon Law, both have changed over time.
  • Cramped handwriting, faint images, possible transcription errors, and names spelled phonetically or with diacritical marks will undoubtedly affect this compilation. Search tips may help locate an ancestor’s name if misspelled.
  • Given names abbreviated in the church book are spelled out when the English equivalent is certain (Elizabeth for Eliz., Louis for Ludovicus). When no apparent equivalent was known or ambiguous, the Latin name or initials were transcribed.

To top

Baptisms

  • Baptisms up to 1930 are on microfilm in SCCGS holdings at the Belleville Public Library and St. Louis County Library on Lindbergh. Find the microfilm roll for this parish here. No online images are posted after 1907 by FamilySearch following its own guidelines.
  • Place of birth or baptism is sometimes found in the marriages.

 

Sample citation to a specific record in this database

Gloria Dettleff, compiler, “St. Augustine Mission (East St. Louis [Illinois]) Catholic Church Marriages (1921 – 1939),” St. Clair County Genealogical Society (https://stclair-ilgs.org : date viewed); [ancestor’s name, date of marriage].

Sample citation to a digital image of the original church register

FamilySearch provides a citation with each image on its website.

 

Further Research

Bibliography

Belleville Diocesan Review for 1928, The Messenger (supplement). Belleville, Ill.: Buechler Printing Company. [1929].

Belleville Diocesan Review for 1988, The Messenger (supplement). Belleville, Ill.: Buechler Printing Company. [1988] p. 132

Burnett, Betty. A Time of Favor. The Patrice Press: St. Louis, Mo.: 1987.

Goelz, Rt. Rev. Msgr. C. General History of the Diocese of Belleville. Belleville, Ill.: Messenger Press. 1939   [also known as 50 Golden Years.]

The Messenger: Catholic Newspaper of the Diocese of Belleville: Commemorating Our Time of Favor, April 24, 1988. 1988.

To top

Collections home

        ********

Comments welcome here

        ********

Church records

Catholic parishes on microfilm


Photocopies

St. Clair County Genealogical Society, PO Box 431, Belleville, IL 62222-0431.
E-mail: sccgsoffice@stclair-ilgs.org  Privacy policy and Use Agreement.
©1997, 2018, the St. Clair County Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
Information may be linked to but not copied. Authorized by SCCGS Board of Directors. Contact Us.